Tuesday 29 May 2012

These are some pictures I entered into the Waterstones Picture This 2011 illustration competition. We had to create three characters from Beauty and the Beast. The winner got the amazing opportunity to illustrate a new adaption of Beauty and the Beast written by Micheal Morpurgo. The book aimed at little children.
Needless to say I didn't get into the finals (you'd already have heard about it if I had). I may not have won, but I really enjoyed the process, and it made me realise just how much I enjoyed illustration. It was at this point that Ben bought me an art tablet and Corel Painter for Christmas, which revolutionised my creative world!!

If I was to do it again, I'd do things slightly differently now. Such as, I'd have a lot more movement. My characters are all fairly static, even the Dad on the horse. I should have had his legs up in the air - exagerated movement. Also, I didn't really sketch the characters out particularly, in different poses  and expressions. I've discovered that's actually quite important, so I can fully get to grips with characterisation. Really fun project to do.




No comments:

Post a Comment